Mt Cameron- the "kingpin" of the decalibron

Mt Cameron- the "kingpin" of the decalibron

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 39.34700°N / 106.1186°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Sep 18, 2004
Mt Cameron From Mt Democrat via Kite Lake Saturday September 18, 2004 I had reached the Mt Democrat summit at 7:50AM and rested about 15 mins and then started back down to the saddle between Mt Democrat and Mt Cameron. The sun was now shining down on this beautiful morning and the trail to the saddle was very well defined and easy to follow as it obviously has been heavily traveled and today was no exception as there were now literally dozens of people coming up from Kite Lake and many had reached the saddle and were heading towards Mt Democrat. I passed them as I went the opposite way across the saddle and then began climbing the trail up the short ridge leading up to Mt Cameron. From this spot to my right the sun was now just barely reaching Kite Lake with its unmistakable shape for which it gets its name far below, and to my left I could see Quandary Peak and the Blue Lakes way down below. Looking back I could now see lots of people converging on Mt Democrat’s summit and plenty more on their way. However, there was absolutely nobody going my way and I was soon on the vacant, scree summit of Mt Cameron. The Mt Cameron summit is really just a large hump of loose scree and rather non-descript. I paused for a brief rest and enjoyed the views while taking many photos as the weather was perfect and right in the immediate vicinity stand four other 14’ers in a very small radius from this peak. Mt Lincoln is most prominent to the east, Quandary Peak to the north, Democrat to the west, and Mt Bross to the south. I could see many trails leading to and from this peak heading in several different directions, making it somewhat clear that this peak is truly the “kingpin” of the decalibron. Although this isn’t considered a true 14’er (I’m not exactly sure why not) I declare this as my 6th 14’er! Sweet!! Now, on to Mt Lincoln………..

Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Mount CameronTrip Reports