Mt. Cutler trailhead

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 38.78490°N / 104.8895°W
Additional Information Route Type: Steep Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up (1,200+/- feet elevation gain)
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Mt. Cutler Trailhead in North Cheyenne Canon Park in Colorado Springs.

Route Description


The trail is marked on the Pikes Peak Atlas. Depart from the trailhead and proceed uphill on the north facing trail. The trail tops out at a saddle and crosses over to the south face of Mt. Cutler. At this saddle, turn right and head uphill on a rather steep but easy to follow trail. This junction is marked on the Pikes Peak Atlas.

After gaining a few hundred feet of elevation the trail heads down briefly before making the climbing traverse around the north side of Muscoco Mountain. This section of the trail tends to hold snow longer than the surrounding area so wear the appropriate footwear in snow season.

Eventually you will gain a small saddle on the northwest side of the mountain. Here is a trail junction. Straight heads towards Daniels Pass and eventually to Gold Camp Road. Right gains a small summit with great views of the surrounding area. Left is the trail to the main summit and is relatively steep but manageable. There are actually several great areas on the summit from which to view the surrounding area. St. Marys Falls, Silver Cascade and parts of Helen Hunt Falls are visible from the summit.

Essential Gear


No special gear other than maybe gaiters or waterproof boots in snow season.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.