Mt. Diablo North Peak

Mt. Diablo North Peak

Page Type Page Type: Album

From the fog into the high heat

On Memorial Day I drove to the East Bay for a hike on Diablo where I haven't been for several years. It was cool and foggy when I left Marin County in the North Bay but sunny by the time I got to the Donner Canyon trail head on the north side of Mt. Diablo State Park. In fact I forgot how hot it can get when doing an extended day hike on the mountain far inland from the coast on a sunny late spring day. Even though I drank a lot before the hike I had to ration out my liter of water on the way down.

The North Peak

Mt. Diablo is 3,849' and totally dominates all surrounding elevations in the SF East Bay. With a well paved road many people drive to the top to enjoy the extensive view, supposedly one of the most far reaching of any mountain on earth in spite of the elevation. The North Peak, 3,557', is a rugged ridge with transmission towers. The unpaved road up to the peak is so steep at one point it's hard to keep your footing even hiking down it! Needless to say only hikers and well rigged 4WDs make it to this summit.

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2

Route66 - Apr 22, 2011 12:44 am - Voted 7/10

Gentle hike, nice view

Not a bad hike up North Peak and a nice view.

Noondueler

Noondueler - Apr 22, 2011 1:29 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Gentle hike, nice view

Thanks 66. Glad you like it.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.