Mt. Louis, a tribute to Lawrence Grassi

Mt. Louis, a tribute to Lawrence Grassi

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 51.21530°N / 115.6778°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Aug 1, 1950
I climbed (with Bill J. from Quebec, July 23, 1950) adjasent Mt Edith first and when I saw Mt. Louis from the summit, I thought that it would be wonderful to get to the top of this neighboring mountain. A friend told me about Lawrence Grassi that climbed Mt.Louis a few times before, he helped me to accomplish my dream. We went together. He was a very generous man and he clibed with many mountaineers in his life. Mt. Louis is not just any mountain, it is a very special mountain and there isn't enough space here to describe it. Pictures do not present it well because you cannot get far away enough to get a good shot of the whole mountain and see how steep it is from all sides. I would say, It is not very often photographed. Most spectacular is a separate wall more visible when you are maybe a couple of thousand feet from the summit. It is very thin and it looks like it could brake off any minute. It was a beautiful trip and relatively easy because most of the ascend is in almost vertical chemneys that enable you to climb without any equipment except a rope. Of course, Grassi knew the way, only at one or two spots it was necesary to traverse horizontally within a vertical exposure of a few thousand feet. We signed a log booklet at the top, it had only a handful of entries and it was kept in a small metal box that perhaps is till up there. (If you know, please let me know.) I'm sure Grassi's name is listed severtal times, he loved mountains and particularly Mt. Louis, although not a mountain, Lake O'Hara was an other of his favoreds. He was awarded honourary life membership of Alpine Club of Canada for his various services to the climbing community.

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Bill Kerr

Bill Kerr - May 12, 2012 4:18 pm - Voted 10/10

Lawrence Grassi

Amazing experience to have climbed Mount Louis 62 years ago and to have climbed it with Lawrence Grassi. Grassi is quite a legend and his legacy is the many hiking trails he built around Lake O'Hara and Canmore. He was an accomplished climber and put up first ascents like Little Sister beside Canmore.
Thanks for the story.
Note that the old summit registers are stored in the Alpine Club of Canada Clubhouse in Canmore.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Mount LouisTrip Reports