Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Dec 9, 2006
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Bouldering, Scrambling

Mt Wilson

We drove from Las Vegas. At the Hoover Dam crossing it was 5.6 miles along HWY 93 then we turned left off the road and started on the dirt road. 4 Wheel Drive is recommended. It was about 3 miles to the trailhead.
Sign at the trailhead



It was very very windy. We hiked over the ridge right next to the trailhead and just follwed it to the summit. It was 2.2 miles but took about 3 hours. It was a nice tough challenging hike and scramble. It was tougher than I thought it would be.

The first Ridge

Fortification Hill

Flag gives me shade


On the way to the summit we came accross a vertabrae. Wonder if it is from a big horn sheep.
Vertebrae


I hiked up this chute to the summit so I could get a good photo of the Flag on the summit as I came out of the chute.
Final Chute

Flag on Mount Wilson



I sat right under the flag on the summit and it gave me shade most of the time cause it was so windy.

Sitting in the shade


We were on the summit for 45 minutes or so then it was getting chilly with the wind. We started to go down. We lost track of one of our hikers in our group (There was 4 of us). He ended up taking a lower route and we finally found him. We took a different ridge back to the trailhead and didn't realize it until we were halfway down the ridge. Here are some cool White Rocks we saw along the way (they can be seen from the trailhead if you know where to look).
White Rocks


We then went down into a wash and eventually got back on the rode and hiked back to our vehicle that was about 1/4 mile or so away. It took just over 3 hours to get back, but we took the wrong ridge and spent some time looking for our hiker that split up from us. Overall it was a challenging day. We finished at 3:30PM, not long before sunset. Luckily there was no traffic going over the Hoover Dam.



Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Mount WilsonTrip Reports