Murdock Mountain via Bald Mountain Pass

Murdock Mountain via Bald Mountain Pass

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.69900°N / 110.902°W
Additional Information Route Type: Off-trail hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

To reach the Bald Mountain Trailhead, either drive east and north of Kamas along Highway 150 for 29 miles from Kamas; or south on Highway 150 49 miles south of Evanston. There is a sign that marks the trailhead. Park here rather than along the highway.

Route Description

Murdock Mountain is a very small peak, and is 11,212 feet elevation. The hike to the summit is only one mile with 600 feet elevation gain. There is no trail, but the route is easy and only takes 20 minutes or so one way. Simply put, Murdock Mountain is a hill by Uinta Mountain standards, but has some nice views.

From the Bald Mountain trailhead, walk back down the trailhead road to the highway. Follow the highway a short distance east to Bald Mountain Pass. The route of Murdock Mountain is very obvious. Simply climb the slope to the southeast and to the summit. There are some boulders-but no real boulder-hopping. The true summit is not visible until you almost reach it. The summit is very broad and the highest point is marked with a cairn. The Wasatch County Highpoint is about half a mile due west of the true summit. Trip Report.

Essential Gear

A good pair of boots is needed.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.