NE Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 37.56798°N / 118.95481°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scrambling
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 4
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The route climbs the obvious northeast ridge up from the Valentine Lake basin to the summit of Peak 3592m.

NE RidgeStart of the route.

Getting There

From the town of Mammoth Lakes:

Take Old Mammoth Road to Sherwin Creek Road 4S08. Follow Sherwin Creek Road until a marked right turn for the Sherwin Lakes trail head. Take the Sherwin Lakes trail almost all the way to Valentine Lake before turning southwest when most convenient towards the obvious base of the northeast ridge of Peak 3548m+. Approximate approach distance: ~5 miles.

Route Description

At the base of the ridge, just about everything can be climbing in the low 5th class range. To keep it 4th class or lower, proceed along the west side of the ridge and take the most appealing line to the ridge proper.
NE Ridge4th class start.


Once the ridge is gaining, follow it to the summit. It is mostly 2nd and 3rd class with a few sections of 4th to spice things up along the way.
NE Ridge4th class section.


To descend either drop down the north slopes or the west slopes. If dropping down the west slopes, you will end at Lake Mary instead of the Sherwin Lakes trail head.

Essential Gear

A good pair of approach shoes or boots will get you up the ridge just fine.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
PrestonRhea

PrestonRhea - Jan 14, 2011 5:13 pm - Hasn't voted

FA of NE Ridge?

I climbed this route Halloween of last year (10/31/2010) and have looked all over the place but can't seem to find any information if it had been done before. I find it too obvious of a route to be missed, but that whole area seems rather neglected in favour of the much more prominent and aesthetic peaks nearby. Any information would be fantastic.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.