Near Miss on Cho Oyu

Near Miss on Cho Oyu

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Informational

Potential Disaster

This incident occurred on the lowest basecamp. This near miss fortunately did not injure or kill anyone but the tents flattened were occupied only a short time before the truck ran amok. They couldn't replace their kit nor the dining tent and it was the end of the group's trip. At least they left alive: there could so easily have been fatalities.

Next time you're on a campsite try to remember this and make sure there are no trucks on higher ground using the old "rock under the wheel braking system". What the hell it was doing there is beyond me, I try not to complain about the excesses of Health and Safety after witnessing this.

My experience of Tibet was that the Tibetans are nowhere nearly as organised and sensible as the Nepalese. We also had a Tibetan climbing sherpa who didn't have high altitude boots!

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Alamkuh

Alamkuh - Sep 15, 2008 2:40 am - Voted 10/10

Oh

Oh my god . . .

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Cho OyuAlbums