Newhouse and Indian Queen Marble Mine Route

Newhouse and Indian Queen Marble Mine Route

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 38.52030°N / 113.2876°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Mountaineering, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Fall
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2+
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This is perhaps the most scenic and interesting route up the mountain, but it is harder than some of the other routes. This route climbs the West Ridge of Frisco Peak from near the Indian Queen Marble Mine. It takes some routefinding to find the beginning of the route, but once on it, it’s easy to find. This route is also steep. Depending on where you park, this route is just over 2 miles long and has around 3000 feet elevation gain.

Frisco Peak-West SideThis is the west side access to Frisco Peak. Beacuse the route line was drawn from memory, it is approximate. The topo maps don't show the tracks in the route desscription either!



Getting There

From the town of Milford, drive west along State Highway 21. Between Mile Markers 58 and 57, turn north onto a gravel road. Continue north on the gravel road to the ghost town of Newhouse. Continue north along the gravel road that follows the old railroad grade. Stay on the main road which heads northeast to the Indian Queen Marble Mine (which is not the Indian Queen Mine marked on the topo map). Park just short of the gate. If you have a 4wd you can go down the hill to the west and up a steep track (not on the topo map) that leads to several old mines.

Route Description

Once on the route, it is straight forward, but routefinding is required to get to the start of the climb. None of the maps of the area are accurate in this respect.

From just short of the gate (see above) walk or drive the very steep and rough 4wd track down the hill to the west then turn north on a steep 4wd track. Your goal is the obvious canyon draining the southwest face of Frisco Peak.

Once in the canyon, walk along the dry creek bed; staying in the drainage heading almost due north. Your goal is the obvious west ridge of Frisco Peak. The route to the ridge is very steep and has some scree, but there are no major obstacles and no bushwhacking.

Once you are on the ridge, head east along the ridge to the summit. The route from here on is easier than the first half of the route and there aren’t any obstacles other than some steep slopes.

Once on top, return the same way.

If you still have time, the western part of the West Ridge of Frisco Peak west of where the route meets the ridge looks very interesting to explore. Maps indicate a natural arch and there are are some big cliffs and rock formations.

Essential Gear

A good pair of boots is needed. Because the route is very steep, a set of trekking poles is very useful, especially on the descent.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.