normal and only

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 1.7°S / 101.30000°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: One to two days
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


From Kersik Tua, go with any commercial motorbike owner through the tea plantation to the start of the forest and the summit trail. Typically, this is the most dangerous part of the climb.

Route Description


The summit trail inside the forest can not be missed. When the trail starts to be more a (hopefully!) dry cascade, you will start using your hands. This is fun climbing, roots and branches of minor plants are astonishingly reliable ...
Above the forest, there is no trail any more! If you have view, everything is straightforward. When there is the choice between scree and slightly steeper white rocks, you will easily find out the advantage of the rocks.
If the view is concealed – this can happen very fast - , orientation can be very challenging. Then, a compass is essential, and the rubbish you have hated all the way up will become very welcome (but even the waste is fading out in the summit region!!!).
If in doubt or even lost, do not enter the forest! The only significant trail is the one you came up! Especially to the west, there are huge expanses of unspoilt and uninhabited rainforests. A paradise for naturalists, a nightmare for lost mountaineers.
Kerinci is not a difficult mountain. But 5 indonesian and a swiss life (at least) already have been lost here.
If you are lost, get back up towards the summit, and wait for visibility to return (in the tropics, you are not likely to freeze to death).


Essential Gear


Camping gear, compass, water, ...

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
David Donaldson

David Donaldson - Sep 5, 2002 5:23 pm - Hasn't voted

Route Comment

There is only one route up kerinci. Best not to loose it.
There are tigers and bears in them hills....

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.