Normal route from Štrbské Pleso

Normal route from Štrbské Pleso

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 49.18330°N / 20.08330°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: 20 metres chains
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Rysy is the highest legally climbable peak of the High Tatras. So it is usual that there is a crowd of people on the top, mostly when the weather is nice!
People come from both polish and slovakian side, as the summit is on the border of Slovakia and Polland. Most people usually come from slovakian side using the route marked by red and blue coming from Popradské Pleso (1494m).

The mountain is famous being the highes climbable in the High Tatras, and it's also beloved by tourist because it lays in the middle of High Tatra Group so there is an unforgettable view from the top on the whole region.

See album here for some attractive views from the summit of Rysy.

Cloudy views from RysyView east from Rysy

Getting There

Now getting to summit of Rysy could be done in four steps. I'll write down the steps and you can go climbing!

Step 1: Getting to Štrbské Pleso (1346m)

You can get to Štrbské Pleso by car, by train or on foot from almost everywhere in the High Tatras. It is a great tourist center in the area so you can't miss the road. Trains also go to Štrbské Pleso from Tatranská Lomnica, or Poprad. Štrbské Pleso is the western end of the train line.

Step 2: From Štrbské Pleso to Popradské Pleso (1494m)

There are two ways. One is marked with red and the other one with green sign. Both routes are easy and the first few kilometres are the same. It is about 1 and a half hour to get to Popradské Pleso from Štrbské Pleso.

(There is a possibility for a third route. If you get off the train a stop before Štrbské Pleso, it is called Popradské Pleso train stop, you can follow the blue sign and get to Popradské Pleso in an hour's time.)

Looking west from Rysy

Step 3: From Popradské Pleso to Chata pod Rysmi (Rysy Hut-2250m)

From Popradské Pleso you might follow the blue signed route till when the red one passes right. There you change the blue trail to the red one in the so called 'Zabia Dolina' valley.
It is about 45 minutes on the blue signed route and 2 hours on the red to Rysy Hut.
A few hundred meters before you reach the hut comes the only difficulty of the trip. Some 20 metres of chain helps you get forward but it's not dangerous! Easy for non practiced climbers too.

Step 4: From Chata pod Rysmi to Rysy summit (2503m)

About 45 minutes climb on the red marked trail from the hut to the summit. Only the last few metres might be difficult for non practiced.

Chata pod Rysmi and Velká Kopka (2354m)Chata pod Rysmi (left)

Route Description

All in all it is an easy and beautiful route despite the usual crowd which is the effect of the easy route and the beauty of the mountain.

If you catch a cloudy day, you miss the crowd but not the magnificent views.

Essential Gear

Nothing extra in summer. In autumn there might be some ice or snow so crampons or an ice axe should be useful but nothing more.

No technical knowledge needed on this side of the Rysy, but polish side is a bit more steep.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

RysyRoutes