Normal route from Rambert Hut

Normal route from Rambert Hut

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.25960°N / 7.12740°E
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: One to two days
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up for experienced hikers
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


The normal route to Grand Muveran is a climb for experienced hikers. The summit can be reached in one day (6 h from Ovronnaz), but I advice to spend a night at Rambert Hut.

Approach


From Ovronnaz you can climb to Rambert hut through the small valley of Saille in 3 h on a marked path.
Rambert Hut can also be reached from Pont de Nant over Frête de Saille.

Route Description


Follow the path in N to NE direction to the Moret crest. Cross easy rocks and follow a path over fallen stones at the right side from a spur (laborious). You reach the base of rock plates. From here the route is showed with orange marks. Climb the plates.
Higher, cross a wide chimney which leads to the top of the spur (climbing passages of II on 30 meters). Cross the spur in direstion W to NW. You have to cross great masses of fallen rocks in a rising direction. Don’t lose your way and the marks ! A prominent rock is secured with a chain (the single secured place of the climb).
Cross the south face until you are just below the summit; Climb through a couloir (danger of rock fall) on the right in N to NE direction and rapidly you reach the E ridge : the summit is on your left.

Essential Gear


Rope for children.
Don't climb if the route is wet or snow covered.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.