North Approach to West Ridge

North Approach to West Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 43.34690°N / 110.2864°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: One to two days
Additional Information Difficulty: Grade II Class 2+
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


See Main Page for approach to the new parking lot at 8,540'.
The new Kinky Creek Trail begins from the public lot on the opposite side from the locked gate.


Route Description


Follow the Kinky Creek Trail for 1 mile and down 400' to the large meadow at the junction of Clear Creek and the Gros Ventre River. Find the wooden hiker's bridge over the creek. There is a mess of trails here. The main Dry Fork trail to Lunch and Brewster Lakes begins by climbing steeply behind the sign and continuing for 4 miles to Lunch Lake. An alternative trail not shown on the maps follows the Dry Fork rather than climbing the rim above it. Find it by going left up Clear Creek. After this variation crosses a meadow there is a sign that says "Dry Fork Clear Creek". A trail behind this sign climbs the Dry Fork (it really is dry due to solution Limestone - carry water) joining the main trail below Lunch Lake at a hard to find junction. The main trail is better maintained and has better scenery including views of Doubletop. The variation has less up and down and is easy to follow. (Alternately, one can go left behind the 'Dry Fork' sign and ascend Clear Creek to get to the peak).
From Lunch Lake continue 3 more miles to Brewster Lake. Take the left fork from the hill above the lake and descend to the trail following the northern shore. The goal is to circle the lake and get close to the lower slopes of Triangle Peak thereby avoiding the loosest of the scree heading up the main basin to Doubletop. I.E. follow the shelves. It's probably easier to climb at Class 3 than search for the easiest route. It's 2.5 miles to the peak which is gained on it's right-hand (western) ridge. The western summit is crossed and from there the scree all but disappears on the way to the true summit.

Essential Gear


Probably best done with a backpacking camp.
Pants - for thick brush early in the approach.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.