North Couloir (aka Bloody Couloir)

North Couloir (aka Bloody Couloir)

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 37.56050°N / 118.907°W
Additional Information Route Type: Snow; maybe some ice
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: AI1
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Follow the Laurel Creek Trail to the very end. You'll see Laurel Lakes on your right as you head up the trail which terminates with an iron gate. Go around the gate over the talus block field and start climbing.

Route Description


Ascend the main chute until arriving just below the "Y." At this point you can opt for the right (snow/ice up to 45deg, perhaps as much as 50 as we found one day) or to the left for more moderate snow.
Upon reaching the summit ridge head east up the next bump. Once on top, break out the Nutella and enjoy the view.
For the descent either retrace your steps for a nice bum-slide or head northeast along a use trail which follows the ridgeline to the Laurel Mountain Trail and back down to the truck trail.

Essential Gear


I brought along my ice tools for doing this route in May 2004; not absolutely necessary but there were a couple sections where they were "useful" as there was some frozen snow in the last 25% of the top of the right side route. Crampons, ice axe (and a helmet if you're not feeling lucky.)

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.