North Couloir

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 61.06000°N / 149.603°W
Additional Information Route Type: Steep snow couloir with many rocky outcrops
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: II
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Park at Glen Alps and go about four or so miles down Powerline Pass. Ptarmigan Peak is highly visible the entire way down the trail on the right. When you come to the base of the peak, there is a trail leading to the right up a rocky hill. Take it up and into the boulder field to the base of the snowfield.

Route Description


The route starts out on a snowfield at the base of Ptarmigan Peak. One can look up and see the entire route to the summit.
Climb straight up the chute, moving to the left at the S-bend. Continue climbing up and head slightly right to take a more direct approach to the true summit. Heading straight up will lead you to a little ridge which will also take you to the summit. Once at the top, just below the true summit, it is only a five minute scramble to the top.

Descend via a walk off route on the Rabbit Creek side. If you are feeling dangerous, someone who is experienced and cautious can descend the same North Couloir they came up. Be careful though, it is steep, and one slip can prove to be deadly. People have died on this route before.

Read about the worst accident in Chugach State Park history here.

I glissaded down the entire couloir, navigating the several large rock outcrops along the way. It was incredibly fun and I was able to stay in control the entire way down to the snowfield. I went from top to bottom in less than 15 minutes.

Essential Gear


An ice ax is absolutely essential. Crampons are suggested as well as a helmet. Teams choosing to rope up should use pickets for a running belay.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.