North East Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.65100°N / 106.211°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scrambling
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: One to two days
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 3 to 5
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

North East Ridge is a classic Gore scramble with gendarmes and towers. Depending on the route you pick - it can be kept at Class 3 or be a Class 5 

North East Ridge - below Snow Lake North East Ridge - below Snow Lake

Getting There

From the West (Gore Lake): Exit I-70 at exit 180 (East Vail) and follow the south frontage road (Bighorn Road) for just over 2 miles. The road will pass under I-70 and there will be a large dirt parking area on the left and the singed "Gore Creek/Deluge Lake"

Route Description

Follow the Gore Creek trail to  the Recen Brothers grave site. Turn north and follow the Gore Lake Trail to Gore Lake. Turn right on a faint climber's trail (if you find it) or just hike up the meadows to Northeast Ridge above you. Ridge consists of 2 gendarms, 2 towers and the summit block.Both gendarms require a short down rapel if you want to stay right on it, but can be bypassed on the Southern side. First Tower requires several rapels if you want to climb over the top, but rapels can be bypassed on the Southern side. Second Tower - a grassy ledge with rocks is leading to the summit base on the Northern side  - the crux is a short Class 3 + move to get to the base. Second Tower can be climbed over ( Class 3) and down to the notch separating it from the summit block. From there it is a short scramble up to the summit. 

Return from the summit: it's a short scramble from the summit down to Snow Pass - return to trailhead via Deluge Trail or take the faint trail passing by Snow Lake, which eventually joins up with Gore Lake Trail. Or you scramble along South Ridge until you find a way down back to Gore Lake.

First Tower - North East Ridge First Tower - North East Ridge

Essential Gear / Camping

Hiking boots and helmet . Rope etc if you want to stay right on top of the ridge.

Plenty of good camping spots along the way. No campfires allowed at Gore Lake !

Gore Lake with Snow Peak Gore Lake with Snow Peak

 



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Snow PeakRoutes