North Face

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 41.72395°S / 145.92404°E
Additional Information Route Type: Scrambling
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: easy scramble
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 3
Sign the Climber's Log


Getting There

For those wishing only to climb Barn Bluff, the most efficient approach is from the north on the Overland Track. Refer to the parent page above for details.

Folks doing the Overland from the south (Lake St Clair) end could equally well tack on Barn Bluff summit at the end of their trek. Get to the Overland/Barn Bluff track junction and follow the description below from there.

Route Description

Barn Bluff north face route
North face route shown in red. Cairns also show the route quite clearly

From the Overland Track/Summit track junction walk approximately 2km on the boardwalk along the edge of the lower NE ridge of the mountain looking down into Waterfall Valley. At the end of the track a cairned route heads up through a dolerite boulder field and onto the north face of the mountain. Follow cairns and, occasionally, a boot path up steep gullies trending initially rightwards and then back left to attain the summit ridge. There are a couple of exposed sections with some scrambling required but it’s not half as difficult as it looks from the approach. Lastly walk west across the usual jumble of boulders to the summit cairn and admire the views.

Essential Gear

Nothing special. Sturdy boots and carry plenty of water - there is none available on the mountain and even if there was I wouldn't drink it. The route up to the summit block in knee deep in wallaby poo.

Summit view
Barn Bluff summit view NE to Cradle Mountain



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.