North face

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.77540°N / 10.91770°E
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: AD, 50 degrees
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Hintere Schwärze / Cima Nera on the Austrian/Italian border boasts a broad north face, some 200-250 meters high.

Getting There

Reachable on foot (snowshoes) or on ski (preferred) from the Martin Busch hütte.

The first part of the approach is a descent trough tricky moraine terrain.

The second part is a hike up along the gently sloped Marzell ferner that will take about 3 hours. Crevasses are not a big problem since this face is mostly done in spring when snow covers most of the crevasses. Continue following the glacier to the east until one reaches the foot of the face.

Take the normal route as descent route and join the trail you made on the approach on the way back.

Route Description

Just go right up on the face where you like, the height of the face increases to the east. There is little/no danger of rockfall. The angle makes this a perfect north face as an introduction to ice/firn face climbing and is done solo by almost all climbers when the face is in good condition.

Good skiers can ski down the face.

In the North Face of the Hintere SchwärzeClimbing solo in the north face, may 2006.


Essential Gear

Complete alpine ice face equipment:
-Two tools
-Crampons
-Rope

External Links

Route topo at Bergsteigen.at

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.