North flank

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.78000°N / 8.43000°E
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: usually easy
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This is the normal hiking route from Engelberg. Under normal conditions, it is easy. The upper third is a glacier. Sometimes there are crevasses to cross. I make this trip almost every year and arrive the summit at noon. The nice thing about this trip is the cable-car, that carries me down to Engelberg.

Route Description

Start early in the morning at Bänklialp (ca. 1000m). Head light might be useful. Park you car at the cable-car station and walk along the river to Bänklialp (10 minutes). Dark walk to Vorder-Stafel 1256m. Follow the ridge of the Eggen and reach Trüebsee hotel 1800m. Then take the path of Rindertritt to Stand 2456m (top station of a ski-station, not ooperating in summer). A steep path leads to the Unter Rotegg 2901m. From the top leads a ladder down to the glacier (Titlisgletscher). Follow the cable of a skilift (not operating in summer). Sometimes there might be some ice and crevasses, usually it is harmless. At the top of the skilift you are back in civilisation. A snowroad leads to the Titlis cable car station. Before you get there turn left and reach the west ridge that leads to the summit.

Essential Gear

Difficult to say. Sometimes you need crampons and a rope. Most of the time this is not necessary. I usually do not take any gear with me and decide on the Rotegg. Once in while I decide to finish my trip there. Follow the

For skiers

Start early from the cable car station. Follow the skirun where the crowd comes down. There are three descents that I recommend.

1. From Titlis take the ordinary slope to Stand. Then turn horizontally to the right to a skilift station. Ski slightly down to the ridge where you can see Engelberg. From point 2445 m you can ski down the Laub to Vorderstafel 1256m. One large slope of 1200m altitude!

2. From the summit ski down slightly north of the cable car station, left of Rotstöckli. Stay on the glacier and watch the crevasses. Usually you will find ski-tracks. Below the glacier turn left and reach the small valley that leads to Trüebsee.

3. From the summit take the crowd's skirun down to the right where there is a skilift below the Unter Rotegg. Ski to the right of Rotegg, follow the Galtiberggletscher to about 2200m. Walk horizontally to the right, down to Hohfad. If no snow left, follow the path in the forest, otherwise keep left, and ski down in the valley of Sulzbach.

Be sure there is no danger of avalanche before you try one of these routes!

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

TitlisRoutes