North Ridge Route

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 17.5004°S / 149.81821°W
Additional Information Route Type: Steep scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 4, maybe 3 when completely dry
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

Getting to Moorea is easy. First, you must fly to Papeete (actually the suburb of Faaa), the capital of French Polynesia which is located on the island of Tahiti. From the wharf at Papeete, several ferries depart for the island of Moorea between the hours of 6 am and 5:30 pm. The boat ride cost $9-10 each way in November 2005, and takes 30 minutes to an hour depending on what boat you book with (ferries that take vehicles are slower).

Once on Moorea and at Vaiare, you will notice two busses waiting for passengers. Bus schedules always correspond with the ferry schedules on Moorea. You want the bus heading north. Get on the bus ($3) and follow it to the Faimano Village Hotel. This is not far east of the Sheraton Moorea Lagoon Resort, so it should be easy to find.



Route Description

To find the beginning of the trail, follow the residential road directly across from the Faimano Village Hotel. The owner of the land is the owner of the hotel, and he does not mind people crossing the land to climb the peak. Pass by a few houses and notice the house on the hill. The trail to the summit of Rotui is just to the right of the house. Look for the trail in the brush. Once on the trail, follow it up to the ridge. The trail is rather brushy now days, and long pants are now recommended.

The following information in atalics has been updated using SP Member gmsuppes' trip report from September 2016.

From the Hilton in the service lot on the non-beach side of the road, walk west on the road toward Opunohu Bay and the trail head is found by walking down the third driveway. There was a sign at this third drive way which says “Art Deko” (see picture). Walk down this driveway and you will see another sign which says “Rotui” and and an arrow which directs you to the right.


The part of the climb up to the flame trees and ridge top is the toughest part of the climb. It is very hot if the sun is out, so I recommend finding the beginning of the trail the evening before the climb, and doing this section in the dark. Don’t try to find the beginning of the trail in the dark; do this the day before. There is a steep place just below the flame trees that is supposed to have a fixed rope, but it was missing in November 2005. This is not a problem as there are plenty of roots and vines to hold onto and they are at least strong enough to hold a 220 lb/100kg le-climber-not-so petite. Once you gain the ridge, follow it to the summit. There are some beautiful views along the way. Some sections of the ridge are very steep and some are rather gentle. There are a few fixed rope sections near the top.

This is a very slippery climb and descending is difficult in the rain. Make sure to always be holding onto something and be prepared to fall at least a few times. This is a hot climb, so take 6 liters/1.5 gallons of water. I took only four liters, but if it was sunny the whole time, I would have ran out of water. You will really sweat on this climb.







Essential Gear

Make sure to take sun protection as there isn't much shade. Make sure to take 6 liters/1.5 gallons of water, and expect to sweat it all out! A herad lamp is needed for a pre-dawn start (see above). Some sort of butt-pad would be useful since you will probably fall several times on the descent if the trail is wet! Make sure to have a good pair of boots for this one.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.