North Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 48.51467°N / 120.70953°W
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Reasonable
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 4
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

High on Whistler
The North Ridge is an enjoyable ridge/rock line that is a reasonable climb in one day for new to moderate rock climbers. The rewards for energy invested are great views and a good rock climb. You can make many choices on your way up to make the climb easier or more difficult. We took a short 100 foot rope with some pro. I'm sure some do this route without any gear, but not for me. There are some places where a fall would be fatal. The ridge is exposed.

Getting There

Parking on Hwy #20
Note photos and info on main page. This is the same start spot as Cutthroat Peak which connects the North Ridge of Whistler seen clearly from the Highway #20, approximately one mile east of Rainy Pass, but only quarter of mile west of Blue Lake Trail (Liberty Bell parking). Park on shoulder where there are no guard rails, but double extra wide paved shoulder for cars to pull over and take pictures.

Route Description

North Ridge
High on Whistler
Descend from wide spot on Highway to find good climbers trail through trees and into open basin between Whistler and Cutthroat. We went for the notch between the two peaks. Once on the North Ridge, follow the ridge until you reach the summit pyrimid. You will find there is some up and down on the ridge, but not any significant elevation lost, maybe 150 feet. There are many choices once you run into the real mountain. We did place some pro for the leader, basicly staying on the right side of ridge (north) on our way up. You can swing even farther right (north) and find easier climbing. We could see rap slings on the other side of ridge too, so come prepared and pick a line. Many paths to top.

Essential Gear

We took a 100 foot 10mm rope, harness, helmet and pro. Ice axe in spring, but we found no snow.

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.