North Uncanoonac Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 42.98970°N / 71.6049°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 1
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

VIA NORTH UNCANOONAC TRAIL: From 114 in the center of Goffstown head south on Mountain Rd. which is just east of NH 13. Take Mountain Rd. almost a mile where it then bears left. Stay left and at 1.4 miles or just when the woods begin there will be a small gravel parking area (dirt road that has been blocked off) on your left. The trailhead lies just across the way.


Route Description



North Uncanoonac in early...


NORTH UNCANOONAC TRAIL
TOTAL ROUNDTRIP HIKE: 1.4 miles
ELEVATION GAIN: 700 ft.


The North Uncanoonac Trail begins as a steady moderate hike right from the trailhead. It continue that way until at 0.2 miles the grade eases at the foot of a small cave. The trail continues at a gradual but steady pitch through an old growth forest. The trail then steepens again until it reachs a great overlook 0.2 miles from the top. The overlook has a great view of Goffstown and nearby hills as well as on a clear day some of the higher mountains such as Mt. Kearsarge and Mt. Cardigan up north. The trail then continue in a more gradual fashion until reaching the summit at 0.7 miles. From the summit there are views of nearby South Uncanoonac and the largest city in New Hampshire, Manchester off to the east. Continue down the snowmobile/ ATV trail for 0.1 miles and there are western views of the Wapack Range and neighboring peaks. (not included in rountrip hike distance)

View off towards Manchester...



Essential Gear

Essential hiking gear such as hiking boots, 20 oz of water, flashlight, bug repellent, etc. are the only things needed in spring, summer, and fall. However in winter sturdy snowshoes are required and crampons are recommended because even though this trail is short, it is steady with some steeper pitches causing the "two step forward and one step backwards" effect.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.