North-West Slopes

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.80864°N / 11.48277°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Hike
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Tatschspitze / Montaccio di PennesTatschspitze seen from the north-west

The hike from Penser Joch to Tatschspitze / Montaccio di Pennes is a short and easy traverse along the slopes of Astenberg / Monte Lastè and Niedeck / Dosso Basso. No part of the route is really difficult except perhaps the ridge between the two summits of Tatschspitze, which is quite exposed on its south-eastern side. The hike takes about 2h if you don't hurry too much.

Getting There

The hike starts at Penser Joch / Passo di Pennes. The main page describes, how to get there.

Route Description

Tatschspitze / Montaccio di PennesTatschspitze seen from the west

  • General data
      - Start altitude: 2211m
      - Summit altitude: 2526m
      - Prevailing exposure: NE, later SE
      - Type: 2 either way
      - Protection: None
  • Effort: 400m elevation gain
  • Power: 1 - Easy
  • Psyche: 2 - Exposed on the summit ridge
  • Orientation: 1 - Marked and thus very easy

    The main stumbling block on the route to Tatschspitze occurs right at the beginning: which way to take? Guidebooks claim that the route starts at Penser Alm, about 500m south of Penser Joch Pass and that you should hike the road to get there. However, thanks to the danger of suicidal motorcycle drivers I would suggest that you scramble to the ridge right behind the hotel at Penser Joch and follow it southward (a bit above the road, but parallel to it). The two paths join each other on the north slopes of Astenberg / Monte Lastè.

    The path (Sarntaler Höhenweg (or Hufeisentour)) leads around the hill-like summit on its south-western side and reaches a ridge, which connects it with Niedeck / Dosso Basso. To the north-east this ridge is very exposed and of questionable quality. This crappy rock will accompany you almost all the way. On the north-west slopes of Niedeck, the path climbs into a saddle, which again is quite exposed to one side (north). Here the second route, coming up from Puntleider See joins and both routes now head up the broad flank of Tatschspitze.

    Up at the summit ridge you will find large summit cairns which lead you to the main summit in the north-east.

    Essential Gear

    Hiking gear is sufficient

  • Parents 

    Parents

    Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.