Northeast Face Traverse to North Ridge

Northeast Face Traverse to North Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.44310°N / 106.102°W
Additional Information Route Type: Snow Climb
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2 / Moderate Snow
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


For this route, you begin at the Breckenridge ski resort. Your starting point will differ based upon snow and whether Breck is still operating.

Drive to South Park Avenue on the south end of Breckenridge. Turn west and drive 0.2 miles and turn left on Village Road. Drive 0.2 miles on Village Road and turn left into a large parking lot near the Beaver Run complex. Turn left, cross the lot and turn right onto County Road (CR) 751 (dirt). This road leads to the top of the Peak 9 section of the ski area. After 0.5 miles keep left. There is a gated road on the right. Pass a lift and drive around to another intersection near 0.8 miles. Stay right on the main road and begin the climb into the ski area. Near 1.5 miles, stay right. Near 3.0 miles, go under a lift. Stay on the main road and pass the Peak 9 Restaurant. Continue up to the highest lifts near 3.6 miles. This is the trailhead. Past this point, the road is rough and 4WD is required.

In winter and spring while Breckenridge Ski Resort is still operating, you can take the Mercury Super Chair to the start of this route. Above the lift, start up the road. Backcountry access is not always open here, so call the ski patrol to check on the status before you plan a trip. Never duck closed backcountry gates. This violates the Colorado Skier Act, and will get you a hefty fine.

Route Description


For this route, follow the East Ridge via Breckenridge Ski Area Route until you reach the bottom of the road below the radio towers.

From here, the NE Face of Peak 10 looks like it is consistently steep, however, the slope hides a flat area that provides a great traverse. From near the bottom of when the road begins to switch back steadily up to the radio towers, angle straight across the slope where the angle lessens. This is very low-angled.

Reach the north ridge on Peak 10. This ridge is a very safe and easy way to access Peak 10. It goes straight up the slope, but it avoids the long switchbacks of the East Ridge via Breck route.

This route is probably not worth it when it is dry.

This TOPO shows both the East Ridge via Breck Route, and the traverse described in this route in red.




Route Photo with Route in red. The traverse shown here is actually on very flat terrain across this face.

Essential Gear


This is a great way to skin to the top of Peak 10 when the road is dry. You will be able to skin until you reach the bottom of the actual north ridge. From there, it's a mere 400 feet or so to the summit for carrying skis.


Avalanche Info


Colorado Avalanche information Center's Website for current information on Peak 10.

The Northeast Face can be extremely dangerous and prone to avalanches in the right conditions. Use your judgement. Do not traverse under this face when conditions are questionable.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Peak 10Routes