Northeast Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 42.50000°N / 122.1°W
Additional Information Route Type: Nordic skiing or summer hike.
Additional Information Time Required: A long day
Additional Information Difficulty: Steep walk-up or ski-up.
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Access from the Westside Road starts from Malone Spring and follows old logging roads and trails up the east flank to the summit, although these are no longer shown on Forest Service maps. There is no trailhead, but there are cross-country ski markers (this route is usually done in winter). See topographic map of routes below.

Route Description


The Northeast Ridge route up Pelican Butte is a steep, 10-mile (round-trip) route that gives great views of the northeast glacial cirques (and the Northeast Bowls route, which ascends these cirques). Ascend the crest of the ridge, and simply follow it to the summit. The elevation gain is approximately 3800 feet.

Essential Gear


Important gear in the winter includes nordic skiis or snowshoes, food, water, and maps. In the summer, you should bring sturdy hiking boots, food, maps, and water (there is no water on the mountain). Maps you should use are the USGS 7.5-minute series maps of Pelican Butte and Crystal Spring (both are scaled 1:24,000). The USFS map of the Sky Lakes Wilderness is also nice to have.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.