Northeast Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 41.79600°N / 123.672°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scrambling
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 3
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The usual approach to the summit is via the West Ridge which is attained by climbing a tedious scree and boulder slope. The NE Ridge offers a much better scrambling opportunity though it is technically more difficult. The route offers good views of Devils Punchbowl to the west, Preston and other peaks to the NE and East. The route looks more difficult from a distance than it really is, and the NE Ridge itself is very good-looking, even close up.

Getting There

As for the standard route, take the trail to its terminus at the Devils Punchbowl, the picturesque lake that occupies the cirque on the north side of the peak. Scramble a quarter way around the lake in a clockwise direction through some moderate bushwhacking and boulder hopping.

Route Description

Climb the steep class 3 slopes to a saddle, the low point on the NE Ridge. Look for openings in the brush, follow boulder paths lower down to avoid the brush. The terrain opens up higher on the slope at the same time the angle steepens. Easier climbing is to the left, steeper climbing to the right.

Once at the saddle, follow the NE Ridge directly to the summit. You should not have to deviate much from the ridgeline for the entire route, still keeping it class 3. There is some modest bushwhacking along the route, typically low brush that is easy to step over, needing only a vigilant eye for foot placements through the brush cover.
View from NE SaddleView from the NE Ridge saddle looking down to Devils Punchbowl

Essential Gear

None needed.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.