NW Face

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 36.14900°N / 114.936°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2-3
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Although, as SusanM alludes to on the main page, this peak has no "standard" trail route (any route will do, really), I found this route to be very direct, reasonably enjoyable, and easily approached in a Corolla.

Following the approach directions on the main page, simply drive as close as you can toward the base of the west/northwest face of the peak. I found a decent parking spot immediately before a steep and sandy incline in the road that would have given my car a problem.

* A note on the roads in the area: Although there are many 2WD, 4WD, and ATV roads in this area, finding ones that take you to the mountain are pretty easy. The mountain is a prominent landmark in the area and a little trial and error will put you in the ballpark.

Route Description


From the base of the west/northwest face, head cross-country a short distance to the base of the steep NW face. From there, head up. Any line will take you to the top. Going is steep, but in the class 2-3 range.

Beware of loose rock, particularly on the short class 3 portions of the route. Also beware of unstable talus. An accident waiting to happen, this route is not necessary suggested, but one of many choices.

Essential Gear


Water, basic footwear.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.