One day hike to Snježnik

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Apr 3, 2017
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring

Introduction


It was one of many nice sunny days this spring, and I decided to go on a little hike with my friend from University, to revoke old student memories. We decided to go to Snježnik, very nice peak in Croatian mountain range Gorski Kotar, near Risnjak and part of National Park Risnjak. 


 

Hike


On top of Snježnik
Summit of Snježnik


Guslica from Snjeu017enik
View from the summit on Guslica and further north
We started from parking next to ski resort Platak. It was closed due to lack of snow and hot spring temperatures. Many tourists visiting Croatia have no idea that actually there is ski resort just 20 km from seaside resorts on Kvarner. Since it was dry weather we decided to take sneakers instead of hiking boots. Very bad decision since there was lot of snow in shadow on higher altitudes. First part of the path is going trough the forest and it is not so exposed. 

There are two routes to the top: 

  • Platak - across the ridge - Snježnik (1,30 hrs)
  • Platak - through Grlo - Snježnik (1,20 hrs)

For the way up, we used first route. It was less covered in snow and was easy to pass in non-apropriate boots. On the way we found some interesting bear traces in snow, reminding us on the natural richness of Croatian forests and mountains. Near the top vegetation is only grass around the rocks, due to strong winds that often occur in this area. 

Rock formation near the top of Snježnik
Rock formation near the top of Snježnik
Summit is at 1505 m., and offers very nice views on Kvarner bay as well as other hills around, from nearby Risnjak and Guslica, to further Slovenian Sneznik, Bjelolasica and numerous other summits in Croatia. We took a little rest on the top and enjoyed in silence that only mountains can offer.

Abandoned mountain hut Snjeu017enik
Abandoned mountain hut Snjeu017enik
Taking down another route, trough Grlo (Croatian word for Throat) we passed beautiful but unfortunately abandoned mountain lodge Snježnik (1.490 mtrs) immediately below the summit, under the crest and above a grassy slope. It has very nice position on the rock and if would be renewed, without doubt would be most beautiful mountain hut in Croatia. From small terrace are nice vistas around Kvarner bay and Croatian islands. Rest of the way down was much more difficult: more steep and covered in frozen snow. But thanks to tree branches it was not problem even without proper equipment. In period from May to September, hike to Snježnik on both route is very easy. During the winter ice crampons are recommended.  


Comments

No comments posted yet.


Table of Contents
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

SnježnikTrip Reports