Ontario Peak Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 34.22780°N / 117.6231°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike, some crosscountry
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk Up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


The trailhead begins at Icehouse Saddle. Directions have been provided on the main page.

Route Description


At the head of Icehouse Saddley you pass a number of cabins along the way and Columbine spring about 2.5 miles up. This spring is down just below the trail and runs well into late summmer, even in the driest years. This is the last reliable water source on this trip. After a few switchbacks you reach Icehouse Saddle, a hub of trials in the San Gabriel high-country. You'll notice it gets cold and windy at Icehouse Saddle. From Icehouse Saddle go right and take the trail that stays on the north side of the ridge. After about a mile more you reach Kelly's Camp where you can spend the night if you decide to do this trip in two days. This campsite is underdeveloped because it is in the Cucamonga Wilderness. It is one of the most remote sites you can find though. After the camp you begin an ascent through some low brush and lodgepole pine. This is a great place to spot mule deer grazing. We spotted a mother deer feeding with her fawn. Later on we saw a massive buck feeding up on the ridge. Once you reach the top of the ridge you'll notice how high you really are. You can see Ontario Airport below and the huge crowns of Mt. Baldy and Telegraph Peak behind you. You'll see a small sign on a rock that says, "Bighorn Peak: 0.7, Ontario Peak: 1 mile. You can take the side trip to the summit of Bighorn Peak, but this adds another mile and a half to the trip length. If you go to the right you begin the acsent to Ontario Peak. This is prime area to spot Nelson Bighorn Sheep so keep your eyes open. A few hundred yards up we spotted a crew of four male bighorns just below us.
A little later we saw a group of five more bighorns, four females and one male, running over the ridge. You pass two or three false summits before you identify Ontario Peak's rocky summit block. After a few more switchbacks you are rewarded with the satisfaction of conquering 8693' Ontario Peak. Head back the same way.

Essential Gear


Hiking boots in the summer, snowshoes and possibly ice axe and crampons in the winter. GPS, maps, and compass are a must! Also keep in mind that this trip is roughly 13 miles round trip so bring plenty of food and water.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

 
Related 

Friends

Related objects are relevant to each other in some way, but they don't form a parent/child relationship. Also, they don't necessarily share the same parent.