Onward along the Jomsom Trek and Annapurna Circuit

Onward along the Jomsom Trek and Annapurna Circuit

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 28.27170°N / 83.67570°E
Additional Information Route Type: Multi-week trek
Additional Information Time Required: Expedition
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk up
Sign the Climber's Log

Update

The Annapurna Circuit to Mukinath now has a road and the trek has changed entirely. A new route is scheduled to be constructed on the opposite side of the river than the road.

Bridge on the Jomsom TrekBridge on the Jomsom Trek-before the road was built.

Route Description

From Tatopani (see Beni Route Description, one option is to continue up the Khali Gendaki to Jomsom. This is known as the Jomsom Trek, and is also part of the Annapurna Circuit.

The route will only be described briefly as this is a multi week trek and other sources should be consulted. From Tatopani, follow the trail up the Khali Gendaki to Jomsom. This is said to be the deepest gorge in the world and at its deepest point is 6000 meters (19,000) feet deep. That’s four times deeper than the Grand Canyon! Along the way are passed a huge waterfall and several villages. Most people take two to three days to Jomsom. As you walk, the climate gets drier and drier until you are in a barren desert (but with glaciated peaks above). It is usually very windy. It is recommended that you also extent the trip to at least Mukinath, which is an interesting temple high in the mountains.

Dhalagiri from the east...Dhalagiri from the Jomsom Trek.





Essential Gear

A good pair of boots are needed.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Poon HillRoutes