Original Route

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 35.08100°N / 83.138°W
Additional Information Route Type: Trad climb
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: 5.11a
Additional Information Number of Pitches: 10
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

Approaching the main cliff is not easy, so allow plenty of time. Whitesides is south facing, making summer time oppresively hot. Also keep in mind that summer storms can sneak up quickly from the north (opposite side). I enjoy climbing in the fall and spring.
From the parking lot take the tourist trail for a short distance until it splits, (an old road leads left to the summit) turn right! This trail will lead up to the ridge where a sign and a sharp turn left will be encountered. At this point turn right on to a secondary trail leading down. Follow the trail down, over small ledges and threw rhododendron thickets unitl the you reach the base of the cliff. The Original Route is at the far east end of the cliff and starts at the base of a large low angle, featureless slab.

Route Description

The first pitch of the OR starts on the right side of this slab. Aim for the tree at the top, on a very narrow ledge. * This first pitch is 5.7 friction and not very protected at all, however we once placed a small pink tri-cam in a small crack approximately half way up. (Most times the leader would free this entire pitch). P2, From here turn left, walk down the length of the ledge and pull up and over a small overhung section moving left to the next tree ledge. P3 follows the obvious crack system. P4 starts with a tricky 5.10 move immediately off of the belay, and is followed by basic face climbing . The first part of this pitch is bolted. P-5 moves around the airy "White Cresent". P6 involves a bolt ladder. If you choose not to use it, the route goes 5.11a. I have always pulled over it with three to four clipped runners. P7 is a long traverse leading an entire rope length to the right and ends at a bolt on the face. P8 and P10 lead staight up and over the top.

Essential Gear

The OR is probably the most straight forward route on Whiteside and requires a standard rack including a typical assortment of cams, and stoppers. Include a pink .5 tri-cam for the bottom.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
mekwise

mekwise - Apr 17, 2005 12:01 pm - Voted 8/10

Route Comment

Pitch 4 also includes a 5.10c move on very polished rock to get you to a bolt, then to the 5.6 face climbing. You can aid the move with a blue camalot if necessary.

sierratrekkin

sierratrekkin - Apr 19, 2005 8:05 pm - Hasn't voted

Route Comment

"You're right on!"

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.