Ferrata Ultra Pants

 

Page Type Gear Review
Object Title Ferrata Ultra Pants
Manufacturer MEC
Page By JScoles
Page Type Mar 11, 2002 / Mar 11, 2002
Object ID 160
Hits 5484
Vote
Rugged technical pants for a wide range of conditions. The elastic ankle cuffs fit over double telemark or mountaineering boots, often eliminating the need for gaiters. The secret to this garment is the innovative Swiss Schoeller® Dryskin fabric that provides an optimum combination of strength, snow-shedding ability, wind-resistance, stretch, and breathability. Hollow capillary fibres on the inside of the fabric transport moisture and allow for quick drying.



  • 80% nylon / 15% polyester / 5% Lycra® blend.


  • Double fabric layer on knees and but for additional durability.


  • Elastic waist with belt loops


  • Zippered fly front.


  • Two zippered hand pockets.


  • Velcro®-secured cargo pocket.




Reviews


Viewing: 1-2 of 2

JScoles - Mar 20, 2002 10:00 am - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
Not really a shell pant but a single layer garment for mountaineering. I was rather skeptical of all its claims that it was breathable, wind resistant and water repellant just sounds too good to be true.



I was surprised to discover that this is a most remarkable pair of pants. They are quite warm, good down to –5c without a second layer and still quite comfortable with thin polypro long johns down to –20c and that is just standing around on belay.



On the trail or when climbing they moved very well with no binding at the back of the knee like some other tight pants I have and did not ride up or down. As well they really breathed quite well and I have never felt wet while wearing these pants even when the weather was warm 10c. I have yet to try them in the summer though.



As for being wind proof they do seem to work quite well I had just used them lately in high winds 50-80kph and about a –25c wind-chill and I found them to work just as well as my regular double lined shell pants. I of course would not use them in extreme conditions –20+ and a wind chill on top of that but they make an excellent base layer under fleece and double shell pants.



They did shed water and snow quite well and they even stayed dry after I spilled a coke all over them after the climb. Water seems to bead right off of them and after a long slog 10km over a very wet trail with some post-holing they were perfectly dry and hardly soiled by trail muck at all.



I also found them to work really well when bushwhacking though the underbrush, sure they caught on the odd branch but I just could not seem to make a hole or run in them. I ruined a number of climbing and running tights in this manner but these ones just seem to shrug such assaults off.



I also tried some butt Glissadeing with them and just to see how they stood up to long slide over ice, fern and corn. They slid really well and showed no signs of ware much better than my partner’s shell pants as he ended up at the bottom of the 300m gully without any bottom in his.



All in all these are the first high-tech pants that I truly lived up to my expectations they are wind and water resistant and breathable. The fit better than gore-tex shells, are much warmer than tights and are better than fleece in the wind. They are s little expensive but not in the gore-tex range but a good value as they can be used year round and will most likely last me a good many years. 5 Stars

Poor Climber - Jan 20, 2007 7:27 pm - Hasn't voted

10 out of 10
These are my favorite pants to do 14ers in the spring and fall. This pant has kept me comfortable while climbing in temperatures from 20F to 60F, and it is mildly wind resistent. It also has plenty of stretch so you dont feel restricted while climbing. But the best part of all, is that the pants have a belt and a fly.

Pros.
~ Belt and fly.
~ Excelent stretch.
~ Wind resistent.
~ Renforced knees and seat.

Cons
~ Not enough belt loops

In short, I think these pants make it worth becoming a member of MEC. :-p

Viewing: 1-2 of 2