Katahdin 70

 

Page Type Gear Review
Object Title Katahdin 70
Manufacturer Jansport
Page By Colinzeye
Page Type May 30, 2014 / May 30, 2014
Object ID 8566
Hits 6085
Vote

Good all around Pack

I have covered many miles through the Southwest, and have always used Kelty or Osprey packs. However, after a thief made off with all my gear years ago, I have had to replace my gear again and slowly upgrade. Strapped for cash and in need of a multi-day pack, I bought the Jansport Katahdin 70L on a whim from a Bass Pro Shop; turns out that this will be one pack that i won't be changing anytime soon.
My girlfriend and I were only hiking in for a 2 or 3 day Adirondack high peak adventure, but the weather was unsure of itself, and we were unsure of our length of time, so we chose to be over prepared than stuck. With two changes of warm clothing due to the rain and cold temps, crampons for summit ice, three days worth of food in a bear canister, a VERY overweight tent from EMS, and enough water for the both of us, this pack still had room and remained comfortable. There are enough straps to tie on external gear as needed, and my Equinox pack cover fit perfectly. It was pretty comfortable, but I look forward to when the new straps soften up a little with use.
My only complain has nothing to do with the pack per say, just the style. I am used to organizing and packing a front loading pack, but this is top loading. Something I knew when purchasing it and was eager to learn a new technique. And at a steal of 175 bucks, I still dont mind, I am only complaining because its still new and I had to pack 3 times to learn how to maximize my space. Nothing time wont fix with experience. Besides the top pocket is big enough to fit more than just the essentials, and there are side pocket that are easy to use and access.
All in all, I am beyond impressed and look forward to enjoying in Maine this August while hiking its namesake.

Features

Add Features text here.

Reviews

No reviews written yet.