Sherpa Glasses

 

Page Type Gear Review
Object Title Sherpa Glasses
Manufacturer Julbo
Page By wildstar
Page Type Dec 5, 2004 / Dec 5, 2004
Object ID 1197
Hits 5725
Vote
These glasses are an affordable option for any climber. They are designed primarily for glacier and snow excursions although can be used in a variety of settings.



Features:



Spectron x5 polycarbonate lenses block 100% of UV rays and 85% of visible light, reducing glare and creating a clear image



Moldable ear temples offer added security with a customized fit



Vented leather side shields block peripheral light and can be removed as needed



Comes with nylon keeper strap and plastic carrying case

Reviews


Viewing: 1-8 of 8

pjc30943 - Dec 16, 2004 12:27 pm - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
First here are some good points.

-Price. It is inexpensive.
-Durability: I have had no problems with the frame at all, despite some accidental abuse.
-Lens: Does not scratch too easily, and is likewise durable.
-Light transmission: For most conditions, the visible light is attentuated plenty sufficiently. I can't see UV, so I'm hoping the 100% UVAB is correct:)
-Side shields do decent job of cutting out light.
-Relatively comfortable to wear for extended periods. After about 8-10 hours in one stretch, though, you can feel it.

Cons:
-Side shields make it hard to look to the side with a hood on: one has to completely turn the head, as can be expected with the "classic" type glasses.
-Despite the claims, I could not find that the ear segment was modable at all. Flexible, yes; but not moldable. So, my biggest complaint is that these glasses easily slip down slightly due to this, at least for my head geometry; especially when wearing a fleece cap, for example, which helps push it down. This slight slipping does not terribly compromise anything, but is very annoying.

-Color distortion is pretty obvious, but that is to be expected (though some other glasses are better with color accuracy)

-The carry case is very durable, but almost useless; it is *barely* bigh enough to hold the glasses, and in cold weather it is annoying to fiddle around with making the springy ear-temples both fit inside the case at the same time.


My next pair will be a wrap-around, such as the Jublo Epic or Advance, to facilitate glancing to the side. However, the drawback is that wrap-around glasses can't be had in prescriptions, for those who wear eyeglasses. The ability to have prescription glacier glasses was my main reason for starting with the classic-style (round) glasses.

This pair is recommended. But please also consider the wrap-arounds, even if the base models are usually more espensive. However I would not buy these again knowing what I know now, because of the slight slipping problem. This is most likely just because of my head geometry. I'd go for a pair that has some adjustability on the nose bridge, which would remedy the situation--as the Sherpa has none.

mtnbnd - Oct 30, 2005 8:41 pm - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
I break and lose glasses all the time. These glasses are inexpensive and do a great job. For the price they are great glasses.

chmoore577 - Nov 2, 2005 11:49 am - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
I found these glasses to have the performance, look, and feel of much more expensive shades. I am very pleased with my sherpa's as they are comfortable and effective. I bought these from campmor for $39 and wore them on several climbs recently in Colorado. I had only one minor complaint and that involved the small rope neck band that came with the glasses. It irritated my ears and i replaced it with a Croakie.

awagher - Jan 8, 2006 3:37 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
I have a pair of these that were loaned to me by a partner and I fear the day he asks for them back. They block light well and are still bright enough to wear on overcast days. The reason I had to borrow them was because I had lost all of my other glasses on a route somewhere. Not with these guys. They secure well to my head with the ear grabbing arms and they come with a cord that keeps them from slipping off. I have not had them fog up yet either.

Poor Climber - Jan 20, 2007 10:39 pm - Hasn't voted

8 out of 10
I love these glasses. The are light, tough, cheap, fit me well and block the light well.

Pros
~ Great value ( I bought mine for 39.00 dollars)
~ Blocks light well
~ They fit well, ( subjective) and the ear loops keep them on
~ They are tough

Cons
~ Non moldable bridge

BSPclimber - Sep 13, 2008 1:56 pm - Hasn't voted

I like 'em
A good pair of sunglasses for the price. Fairly comfortable and the shield blocks light well. Why spend 100+ bucks on designer shades?

mtnbnd - Nov 11, 2009 3:58 pm - Voted 4/5

OK glasses
These glasses are great, if they fit your head...if not they are very uncomfortable into you mod them.

Josh Lewis - Feb 6, 2012 3:07 am - Voted 2/5

Not Impressed
Not only did they not fit on me very well, but they snapped very easily. To make it even worse before they broke I used a special string to prevent it from falling off which it fogged up quite fast even when they were far away from my eyes. Perhaps I got a bad pair of these, but once I swapped to ski goggles I was very impressed at how much better they were.

Plus they looked extremely nerdy which I kinda admire about them but kinda don't. Also they had a reflection that made it so that my own eyes would reflect back making it a little bit harder to see out of them.

Viewing: 1-8 of 8