Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.38516°N / 105.94661°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 12394 ft / 3778 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Parika Peak is the head of the Baker Gulch Drainage in the southern Never Summer Wilderness and on the border of Rocky Mountain National Park.

It is also on the Continental Divide. One thing interesting about this and other nearby peaks is that the east slope of the mountain actually drains into the Pacific Ocean, while the west slope drains into the Atlantic Ocean!

The most popular side of the mountain is the east side, but it's a longer hike from there. This side of the mountain also holds the tiny gem of Parika Lake.

The peak is not that well known by Rocky Mountain National Park standards, but it is scenic and has good views.

Overall the mountain is not rugged, but the west face should offer some nice early season snow routes.

Never Summer PanoramaParika Peak (left) from Farview Mountain.

Getting There

Baker Gulch Trailhead

Drive north out of Grand Lake on Highway 40. Enter into Rocky Mountain National Park, and there is either a $30 dollar single day entrance, or a $50 season long pass. Pay the fee and continue on the road for around eight miles till you come to a sign for the Bowen-Baker Trailhead. Turn into the Parking area, and instantly, you are greeted with a amazing view of Parika Peak.

Parika PeakParika Peak from Baker Gulch.




Routes Overview

Via Baker Gulch

The routes up this peak from the Bowen-Baker Gulch Trailhead are pretty long, but the views are well worth it. The trails up this peak are great, and you follow the Baker Gulch Trail up to Parika Lake, and then to the peak. This peak is amazing, and there are great views of the rest of the Never Summer Wilderness, and Rocky Mountain National Park. It is 13 miles round trip and 3500 feet of elevation gain.

From the trailhead, follow the trail up along Baker Gulch, and the trail gets steeper after three miles. Hit the Grand Ditch at 3.5 miles, and continue on the trail for another half mile till you hit Baker Gulch. Cross the Creek and stay left on the Baker Gulch Trail until you reach Parika Lake at five miles. Follow the trail around the lake and follow it as it switchbacks up to the saddle between Parika Peak and Farview Mountain. From the saddle, turn north and follow the short steep ridge to the summit. Admire the views.

Parika PeakParika Peak from the Parika-Farview Saddle.


Via Jack Park

This is perhaps the easiest route up Parika Peak. From the trailhead, a little used trail heads south from Jack Park and curves around the south side of a mountain to a junction before heading up the ridge and to the saddle between Parika Peak and Farview Mountain. It is an easy hike up Parika Peak from there. This route is about 8 miles round trip with 1800 feet elevation gain.

The west face looks like it might offer some nice early season snow routes.

Parika from FarviewParika Peak from Farview Mountain.


Via Illinois Creek

From Illinois Creek, another seldom used trail heads up the valley and joins the route above. The round trip distance is about 8 miles with 2400 feet elevation gain.


Red Tape

This area is in a mixture of protected lands including the Bowen Gulch Protected Area, the Never Summer Wilderness and Rocky Mountain National Park. Regulations for each can be viewed by clicking the links below:

Never Summers Wilderness

Rocky Mountain National Park

Camping

From Baker Gulch, there is no camping allowed on the first half mile on the trail since it is in Rocky Mountain National Park. After that, you need a permit to camp anywhere along the trail. Please stay at least 100 feet from Lakes, rivers, or streams.

There are several campsites on the Jack Park side of the mountain as well.

When To Climb

July through September is the normal climbing season, but the mountain can be climbed year round.

Parika Peak has reasonable winter access from Baker Gulch. There is some avalanche terrain en-route to the peak.

Parika LakeParika Lake in late September.

Mountain Conditions

For current road and trail conditions, contact:

Sulphur Ranger District
9 Ten Mile Drive
Granby, CO 80446
970-887-4100

Rocky Mountain National Park
1000 US Hwy 36
Estes Park, CO 80517
970-586-1206

WEATHER FORECAST

Below is the climate summary for nearby Berthoud Pass at 11,315 feet elevation which is several miles to the south and about 1000 feet lower than Parika Peak. These are all averages, so expect more variation, but this will give you a good idea about the climate at higher elevations around Cascade Mountain. *National Weather Service Data 1950-1985.


MONTHHIGH LOWSNOW DEPTHDAYS W/PRECIP
JAN21142"19
FEB24252"16
MAR29663"20
APR361467"17
MAY452353"16
JUN543217"11
JUL6239014
AUG6038014
SEP5331011
OCT42213"10
NOV301014"15
DEC23329"18



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Never Summer RangeMountains & Rocks