Parrish Creek

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.96440°N / 111.8175°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Bountiful PeakBountiful Peak Summit

Parrish Creek is the best route for climbing Bountiful Peak from the west. It was named after Samuel Parrish who settled along the creek in 1848. I recommend this route for anyone looking for a fun mountain to climb in winter. Due to its location in the Northern Wasatch, you will probably not see very many people.

The route basically follows the ridge that is located between Parrish Canyon and Centerville Canyon. It starts by following the ridge overlooking Parrish Canyon and then goes around the ridge that overlooks Centerville Canyon. The foothills on this ridge can be climbed on route to Bountiful Peak. The trail meets the Skyline Drive road below the ridgeline. It then follows the road north to the summit.


Getting There


From I-15 take the Parrish Lane (exit 319) in Centerville. Continue on Parrish Lane until it ends at 700 East. Turn left (north) and follow the narrow road as it curves and reaches a large graded dirt parking lot. Any vehicle should be able to reach this trailhead when the road is dry. If the road is icy, then you can park near the side of the road at the end of 700 East. This route has the advantage of easy year round access.


Route Description

Bountiful PeakBountiful Peak West Face

Start hiking up the hill from the parking area on a trail or around the side on the dirt road. There will be a trail that heads east from here. There are signs that say to stay on the trail because of restoration. The trail is in much nicer condition and easier to follow so cutting switchbacks is not advised.

The trail climbs up to a meadow where you can see the switchbacks that climb up toward the ridge. It will go up the large foothill that is directly above Parrish Lane in Centerville. At the end of several switchbacks are overlooks into Parrish Canyon with the creek down below.
Parrish RidgeParrish Ridge

The route starts going back toward the south as it goes around a bend. The large canyon below is Centerville Canyon. If you have good eyes, you should be able to see an American Flag located on top of a rock outcropping overlooking the canyon. It will be below you to the south as you are hiking on the trail.

As the trail climbs up higher on the ridge, you will be able to start seeing the higher peaks on the horizon. The trail traverses on the right side of a prominent foothill. You can scramble up to the top of this point if you like. The trail continues and descends a little to a small saddle on the route.

The final ascent up to the ridge will be in front of you. There is about 1,000 feet of elevation gain as the trail climbs up to the Skyline Drive. There is a parking area here so you shouldn't miss it. Now it is a simple matter of following the dirt road north for a few miles. It winter, the road will be covered with snow but still easy to follow. Be careful of snow cornices on top of the ridgeline.

An alternative to following the road is to hike directly up to the ridgeline instead. You can hike to the summit of Centerville Peak. This is the unofficially named peak that is 8,904 feet elevation. You can do a ridge traverse from Centerville Peak to the summit of Bountiful Peak which is more interesting than hiking along the road.

There will be a trail that is on the west side of Bountiful Peak. Follow this for a couple hundred yards to the summit. On a clear day you can see for many miles with Francis Peak being the closest mountain in sight. To the south you can see all the way to the Cottonwood Ridge in the Central Wasatch. To the west is the Great Salt Lake and the cities of Davis County.

The round trip distance is 15.68 miles and elevation gain is 4,670 feet

Essential Gear


Regular day hiking essentials. On a hot day bring plenty of food and water. A good pair of hiking boots is all that is needed.

Winter Climbing: The trail will be packed down on the lower part of the mountain but probably not in the higher elevations. Snowshoes are recommended for deep snow.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.