Passo Vallès - Rifugio Volpi - Summit

Passo Vallès - Rifugio Volpi - Summit

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.31640°N / 11.83210°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hike and Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Scramble-Up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


See the Getting There section on the main page for directions. The ascent starts right at Passo Vallès

Route Description


  • General data
      - Start altitude: 2012m
      - Summit altitude: 2906m
      - Prevailing exposition: all directions (round trip)
      - Type: 4-5h on trails
      - Protection: some short protected sections (cables)
  • Effort: 1000m gain in elevation
  • Power: 2 - easy but longish
  • Psyche: 1 - easy (no exposure but some steep sections)

    Though arguably the best ascent route to Monte Mulaz the trail from Passo Vallès is a long affair. It takes you around 75% of the mountain before you reach the final ascent route starting at Rifugio Volpi. There also is a shorter route along a "Sentiero Attrezzato" (equipped trail) but I didn't take it. It was supposed to be our descent route but with all the rain coming down we decided for the easier but more strenuous route to Campigol della Vezzana and back to Monte Mulaz.

    The ascent starts at the parking lot at Passo Vallès. Directly opposite to the Albergo on the pass the trail starts, first touching upon a little chapel. It is part of Alta via delle Dolomiti No. 2 so it is worn with usage and actually hard to find. There are just too many grooves to follow...

    First stop is Forca Venegia between Cima Vallès o Venegia and Cima Caladora. It offers a breathtaking view towards the Pale northern chain as well as the complete Lagorai chain. Cima Caladora is just a few steps away, just the right thing for the avid peakbagger.

    From Forca Venegia the trail runs along the southern side of the ridge passing by Cima Caladora and Cima della Venegiota. After a while (1h from Forca Venegia) you will reach Passo di Venegiota where you obtain one of the best views of the Marmolada Group along the trail. Switching back in the direction of Passo Vallès you can climb Cima della Venegiota in about 10 or 15 minutes.

    From Passo di Venegiota a beautiful slope traverse leads to Passo dei Fochet di Focobon where a trail (no 753) from Falcade meets. Remain on Alta Via delle Dolomiti No 2, which turns south and circumvents Monte Mulaz to head directly for the Campanili dei Lastei di Focobon. The trail descends along scree slopes at first but soon gains elevation again. Here you encounter several secured sections which otherwise would be hard tos scale (polished rocks).

    The trail climbs steeply until it reaches Sasso Arduini, a great lookout point towards the Focobon Group. From here on you head for Rifugio Mulaz on almost level ground. The rifugio is a welcome resting place, located centrally near the intersection of siix trails. Head for Passo di Mulaz. Shortly before you reach it the summit trail leaves to the right (northern) side. It heads north-west at first, negotiating a shoulder. Turn north-east here to gain the summit bell.

    Essential Gear


    Hiking gear is sufficient.


  • Parents 

    Parents

    Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.