Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 55.32834°N / 160.38211°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 1550 ft / 472 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Peak, or Point 1,550 is the highest summit on Popof Island of the Shumagin Island group of Alaska. These volcanic islands lie off the SE coast of the Aleutian Peninsula approximately 600 nautical miles from Anchorage.

Summit Ridge in WinterSummit in winter


The mountain is easily seen on a clear day from the town of Sand Point, AK. It is a beautiful and easily accessible peak to climb in any season if you find yourself in Sand Point. I climbed it in spring (May) and winter (February) and both ascents were completely different due to snowfall amounts.

In spring/summer expect minimal snow, and mostly trail hiking to rock-scrambling near the summit at 3rd to 4th class. Winter is a full-on snow climb with much rime ice and wind...lots and lots of wind!

Getting There

From Sand Point, take the road out to the dump site, approximately 3 miles. Park just past the dump site turn off and before an old basalt quarry.

Head almost due east towards the peak (if you can see it) on hiking trails.

Trail MapMap

Red Tape

None. Except for be aware of Bald Eagle nesting season. They do roost and nest on the cliffs on this peak and WILL ATTACK!

Northern SightsShumagin Islands

Camping

No camping necessary but I don't think there are any rules against doing so.

External Links

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sand_Point,_Alaska

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popof_Island

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Aleutian RangeMountains & Rocks