Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 22.3571°S / 44.7168°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 8497 ft / 2590 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Pedra Furada (Bored Mountain) is another great mountain of Itatiaia National Park, how Agulhas Negras 2789 mts and Prateleiras 2548 mts. Pedra Furada is out of border of National Park but, this mountain is pondered by “ Mountains of Itatiaia National Park”. With great views, this isolate mountain provides to the hikers, a good trip to another beautiful mountain, looking the real size of the mountains around. From the summit, as possible to see all the range of Pedra da Mina 2797 mts, 5 mountains with more than 2500 mts inside INP, Paraiba do Sul River Valley and, if the weather is clear, it’s possible to see Serra dos Órgãos, with more than 200 km of distance. Furada is the first mountain on the road to rise the high plateau of Itatiaia, and shows the bigness of the place. Great blocks, beautiful trails, wildlife and and peace are the place’s adjectives. The mountain isn’t well-known by the hikers who goes to Itatiaia and, the Nature express gratitude.

Getting There

The way to go to Pedra Furada is the same to Agulhas Negras and Prateleiras, because the access is before the entrance of INP nad can be summed up like this:

From Rio de Janeiro

Take the Express BR-116 to South. This is the way to São Paulo. When crosses Resende, drive more 35 km and turns to another road called “Estâncias Hidrominerais” (BR-354) at Engenheiro Passos, district of Resende. BR-354 rises Serra da Mantiqueira and connects Minas Gerais state backcountry with Paraíba do Sul Valley, in Rio de Janeiro. At the top of the road, 26 km after Engenheiro Passos, turn to right and drive more 15 km to Pousada Alsene, the only legal camping. The trailhead to Furada is 1 km before Alsene, and it’s very easy to find, because the way is clear and the trail is very large. From the trailhead, 1 hour or more to the summit, crossing the highfields and the famous block denominating Furada. The block has a little bore, that is possible to see through this hole, another mountains. The summit is 10 minutes from this point. There aren’t any fountain on the trail, being necessary to bring your drink.
From São Paulo, drive by BR-116 to North till Engenheiro Passos and rise to the same way of who goes from Rio.

Map of Brazilian Highlands

Red Tape

No taxes to climb;
There aren’t inspection by INP;
There aren’t any fountains and camping area on the trail;
There aren't any pass required to park you car at Alsene

When To Climb

The best season to climb Pedra Furada is Autumn/Winter/Spring. At Winter, is rare, but the possibility of snow is real. At Summer, is hotness and the storms happens everyday. At Spring, clouds are formed by the increase of the temperature and, the afternoon turns impossible to see everything.

Camping

Beforetime was possible to camp everywhere you want. Today , the only place to camp is Pousada Alsene – 2400mts.
Tents : U$S 6 per day, with hot shower;
Rooms : U$S 25 – 50 per day, with comfort.
Pousada Alsene tel: 55 32-9981-1217

Mountain Conditions

The trails are very clear, large and visible. If the weather is good, as possible to reach the summit and see one of the best mountain views of Itaiaia mountains. To know the actual conditions, you can call to Pousada Alsene and ask about the trails, guides and weather.

Itamonte – Weather

Why Pedra Furada?

Pedra Furada means "Bored Stone" because a hole that exhists in one of the top rock block. I don't know about any climbing routes at Furada but, it's a very good hiking to get the summit.

Credits

Thanks to Hugo Pereira to contribute with shots on this page.
Thanks a lot Hugo!