Peitlerkofel

Peitlerkofel

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Aid Climbing, Hiking, Scenery

A warm summer day

The Peitlerkofel (or Sas de Pütia as it is called in the local Ladin language) (2875m) is one of the most popular peaks in the Dolomites. It's very scenic to look at, has a fine normal route to the top and outstanding summit views. But you need good weather for it, and the weather in the Alps wasn't all that great in the summer of 2014. So, when the forecast predicted a warm summer day, I leaped at the chance.

Actually, most people don't go all the way to the summit. Many start their hike from the Würzjoch / Passo delle Erbe (1987m) and go up to the Peitlerscharte / Forcela di Pütia (2357m), the high saddle south of the mountain, enjoy the scenery for a while and then return.

Ascending Peitlerkofel
On the final scramble. See that climber in red, much higher up?
Still, plenty of hikers go higher, but not everybody is comfortable with the final scramble to the summit.

It's easy and secured by a steel cable, but it's steep and exposed. Nothing to stop scramblers, but hikers that are not used to that will stop at the start of the cable. A via ferrata set can be a confidence booster.

As an alternative for the real summit there is also the slightly lower and easy to reach Kleiner Peitlerkofel (2813m).

Kleiner Peitlerkofel
An easy trail to the Kleiner Peitlerkofel
On my way up to the Peitlerscharte I must have passed hundreds of people. Despite the crowds, everybody was enjoying a beautiful day in the mountains and the atmosphere was great.

There is plenty of room on and around the saddle, and lots of people sat down there. I didn't pause yet, for I was aiming higher. My first short break was at the base of the final scramble, to switch footwear. Of those that continued, most climbed free, but a sizable minority did indeed use a via ferrata set. The free ones moved fluidly, while those with gear seemed ill at ease and were much slower. A few turned back. But it's not far to the summit, and when enjoying the outstanding views we're all the same again.

Peitlerkofel summit view to the Geisler / Odle Group, with Langkofel / Sasso Lungo further back
Summit view


Peitlerkofel (2875m) and Aferer Geisler (2653m)
Peitlerkofel (2875m) and Aferer Geisler (2653m) seen from the Würzjoch. I won't be alone today.



Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.