Photo Trip Report: Boreas Pass/Section House February 27-28 2010

Photo Trip Report: Boreas Pass/Section House February 27-28 2010

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report

FEBRUARY 27

Kessler and I had this weekend saved for a trip up to the Section House Cabin up on Boreas Pass (11,490 feet/3502 meters). Kessler was excited because the cabin is supposedly haunted.

The section house is perched right on the Continental Divide and was built in 1882 as a railroad stop for the railroad between the mines of Leadville and Georgetown. It has been fixed up so that modern day skiers and snowshoers can use it. The minimum distance of any route to the hut is 6.5 miles/10.5 kms each way.

In the morning we started up the trail in good, but cloudy weather. It was a slow, but uneventful snowshoe up to the hut. Along the way we met two other climbers whom accompanied us the rest of the way to the hut.

There were other people staying in the cabin as well. Kessler played twister with some of the other group and we told ghost stories before going to be.

At night, Kessler heard ghostly creaking around the cabin, but I slept OK.

Bakers TankThis is the historic watering tank on the route to Boreas Pass.


Route to Section House/Boreas PassKessler on part of the route to the Section House and Boreas Pass on February 27.


Approaching timberlineThis is the nice and gentle grade that the Boreas Pass route has just before timberline.


Un-named peaksSome of the un-named peaks just west of Boreas Pass.


Quandary PeakQuandary Peak as seen from the route up Boreas Pass on February 27 2010.


Section House informationThis is the information on the Section House cabin located on Boreas Pass at 11,482 feet elevation.


On the way to Boreas PassKessler on the way to Boreas Pass on February 27 2010.


Wind battered cabinThis is the wind battered Section House which was built in the 1880's high in the Colorado Rockies at 11,482 feet. Despite the harsh weather conditions several people lived on Boreas Pass in historic times. Now the cabin serves as shelter for skiers and snowshoers that brave the 6.5 or more mile trek up to the cabin.

FEBRUARY 28

Kessler and I debated rather to try and climb a peak or not in the morning. Kessler decided he would rather head back down the mountain and the weather appeared to be deteriorating anyway. The weather started out good, but slowly deteriorated as we descended. At one point we heard some loud thunder.

The weather deteriorated to near blizzard conditions at times, but we made our way down the mountain without any problems. It was a nice trip.

Before the stormThis is the stretch of breezy, but good weather just before the storm hit.


Almost backThis is Kessler near the end of the trip to the Boreas Pass and Section House on February 28 2010.


SnowstormSeven year old Kessler hikes through the snowstorm on our way back from Boreas Pass.


Snowstorm!We're almost back by now and only minutes from the trailhead, but this is the snowstorm that we had when descending from Boreas Pass on February 28.






Comments

No comments posted yet.


Table of Contents