Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Jun 12, 2011 8:24 pm - Voted 10/10

I must have been lucky.

On spring break in 1997, I made plans to hike Telescope. It was something like March 22, but there was almost no snow except at the very top, and that wasn't anything bad. Not once since then have I seen Telescope so clear in March or April. When I tried it again back in 2003, I found thigh-deep snow on the other side of the trail crest at Rogers and Bennett and turned back. And it was pretty heavily covered when I was out there in April this year.

I've been enjoying your stuff from your recent trip and hope there will be more.

So what's the deal with the knee?

Castlereagh

Castlereagh - Jun 12, 2011 9:08 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: I must have been lucky.

Thanks...only a few more left. Only wish I had more time in the desert.

I think your experience was more typical on Telescope. I picked it because of all the earlier-season snow free ascents on the climber's log. The west was definitely stuffed with snow this year, but you gotta love Death Valley for all of its year-round options.

Not sure about the knee; my buddy who just got his masters in Physical Therapy says he thinks it's a torn meniscus. It's certainly not getting much rest though, with White Mtns, cardio, and bball.

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Jun 12, 2011 9:32 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: I must have been lucky.

The clicking sound you describe makes me think of the popping sound often associated with a torn meniscus. Back in October, I thought I'd done exactly that while climbing in Capitol Reef. Of course, being a man, it took me until February to finally go see a doctor. Fortunately, it turned out to be a sprained MCL. It still isn't fully healed, but it works and ironically is still stronger than my left knee, which has always been the weaker one. Or maybe not fortunately. A torn meniscus would have meant surgical repair and a knee that was better than before. But then there would be recovery time.

Bite the bullet and see a doc. A torn meniscus never heals, and although you can still do a lot of the same stuff with a minor tear, there is a good chance that one day, the knee will lock up on you. That wouldn't be too nice out in the places you like to climb.

Castlereagh

Castlereagh - Jun 13, 2011 12:18 am - Hasn't voted

Re: I must have been lucky.

Thanks for the advice! I remember seeing your thread several months ago about your knee. Glad to know it's getting stronger, hopefully healing too. For all of us who frequent the outdoors on foot knee problems definitely strike fear into our hearts, and I've always felt even before this that it's the most vulnerable area. Definitely procrastinating on the doctor too; maybe I'll try to find a specialist this week

Dean

Dean - Jun 12, 2011 9:42 pm - Voted 10/10

Good stuff

I enjoy tr's about peaks I want to do and Piper is on my wish list. So is Grapevine and a bunch more. Thanks for posting this one.

Castlereagh

Castlereagh - Jun 13, 2011 12:14 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Good stuff

Thanks! I can say the same to you as well, and the same occurs far more often vice versa. Looking forward to seeing your stuff from last month.

Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Return to 'Piper (several hours after) the Gates of Dawn' main page