"Plan B" Couloir

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.45890°N / 105.9375°W
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 3
Additional Information Difficulty: Steep Snow
Additional Information Grade: III
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This is an excellent snow climb on the south face of Mt. Guyot. The couloir is steep and sustained, with a maximum slope angle of around 60 deg. As the line faces south, it is probably best climbed in early spring.

Getting There

In the town of Jefferson (16 mi north of Fairplay, 4.5 mi south of Kenosha Pass on Hwy 285), turn west onto the paved Michigan Creek Rd (Co Rd 35). After 3 mi, take the right fork to stay on Michigan Creek Rd (Co Rd 54). After 2.5 mi, turn left.

Drive up the road until you're stopped by snow. In March 2012 we were able to drive an additional 2.5 mi with a high-clearance SUV.

Approach

Continue up the road. At 11000', turn left (west) off the Michigan Creek Rd and follow the switchbacks or travel due northwest to the cirque (see Route Map). Once in the cirque, continue to the northwest wall where two obvious lines top out on the ridge west of the summit. Plan B is on the right.

LinesYellow - Plan C, Red - Plan B

Route Description

Follow the obvious couloir. The slope quickly rears up from 30 to 45 deg. for the first 200', which yields to a sustained 55-60 deg. climb for the last 400'. It finishes on the ridge west of the summit; it is possible that a cornice will form over the exit. Gain the ridge and scramble to the summit. Maximum difficulty on the ridge is easy 3rd class. Descend via the standard northeast ridge route, or ski down the couloir!

Excellent sustained climbingThe good stuff

Abe enjoying the routeAll smiles

Plan B, 600 , v/steepThe line

Essential Gear

Crampons, mountaineering axe, and helmet. A second tool may be useful.

Route Map

Route MapRoute Map


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.