Point 11,894', Ramshorn Plateau

Point 11,894', Ramshorn Plateau

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Aug 1, 2010
Activities Activities: Scrambling
Seasons Season: Summer

More Than I Thought I Had

I had an awesome weekend here in Grizzly Country. Came across a pile of fresh digested grass on an evening walk Saturday. We rode horses in and camped about 9,600'. The southern half of the world's first national forest is a pretty darn great wildlife habitat. I was glad to see multiple sets of moose tracks. Perhaps I'll see them on the Ranch again this fall. Lots of Elk. Fair amount of other Grizzly sign. Heard wolves. I would guess either an elk, moose, or Grizzly crashed through the creek at Midnight waking some of us. I'm pretty sure my snoring put the fear of the Bruin Bachae in whatever they were.

Sunday I left East Sixmile Creek and by the strength of something within me I haven't drawn on in a lot of years I followed sheep tracks to the summit of Point 11,894'. This was a sensational trip, but a very dangerous one. There is one way in, one way up, and back. I should not have gone solo, should have had a helmet at a minimum with considerable rockfall amidst high temperatures melting respectable snow; but this route was important to me for a longtime. I'm fortunate to have family and friends that give me relatively close access to this rarely visited treasure. The public access is not only a considerable distance but long abandoned trails have become quagmires of beetle killed fuel covering much of the forest floor at levels cumbersome to horses and hikers.

The Ramshorn is a fabulous plateau. I highly reccomend accessing it from Bear Pocket per Ralph Maughn's Guide or pursuing whatever options you can other than this one. IT might be a walk in the park for some of you, but it really tested me and my middleaged body. Its the good pain though. Burroughs Creek is like yesterday's hike, one I simply can't reccomend. They are nightmarish scrambles however celestial the pay off. Burroughs Creek is probably the closest access though. ITs beautiful up there too, but this Southwest Absaroka Range is as we all know rotten to the core.

I put some photos up. I don't know how to drive the site too well so the best I can do is tell you to click "most recent" on my profile here:

https://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php



Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Doublecabin

Doublecabin - Sep 16, 2010 2:03 pm - Hasn't voted

Alternative Access

I forgot to mention one could summit this point from Burroughs Creek. The Burroughs Creek Loop Road starts a half dozen miles or so North of Dubois, Wyoming on the Horse Creek Road not far from the Horse Creek Campground.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.