Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 34.04410°N / 107.2554°W
Additional Information County: Socorro
Activities Activities: Hiking, Trad Climbing, Toprope, Bouldering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 8292 ft / 2527 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Point 8292 is a relatively unknown ridge summit just outside the town of Magdalena. It creates the western wall of Hop Canyon in the northern Magdalena Mountains. On this peak you will find some interesting cliffs that promise some fun climbing if you brought gear as well as solitude and great views of the Plains of San Augustin, the VLA, and the surrounding mountains.

Red Tailed HawkRed Tailed Hawk

New Mexico Rank: 890
Prominence: 310'
Quadrangle: Magdalena

Rank and Prominence information from
Lists of John

Getting There

From I-25 exit on S California St (exit 147) and head north to Spring St. Turn left onto Spring St (US-60). Continue on US-60 for about 25 miles to the town of Magdalena. Turn left onto Kelly Rd (the first street past the Ranger Station). Continue up this road until it comes to a fork. The left fork goes to Patterson Canyon, the right fork goes up Hop Canyon. Bear right at this fork up Hop Canyon. Park approximatly 0.5 miles past the turn that is labeled "Agua Fria Rd".

Route Overview

Point 8292 RoutesPoint 8292 Routes

Southeast Face: This is the shortest route to the summit. It also does the best job avoiding private property that surrounds the mountain. It approaches the mountain from the west and uses the weaknesses in the cliffs on the southeastern face.

North Ridge: This route is longer and requires some care to avoid private property but is less steep than other routes. Some portions of this route even have a trail although it is unlikely that you'll see another person on it.





Views from the summit:
South BaldySouth Baldy
VLAVLA

Hop CanyonHop Canyon
Magdalena MountainMagdalena Mountain

Red Tape

The summit of this mountain is on public land, however, a significant amount of the land around it is private land. Only access the mountain via public lands.

Camping

There is no camping on Point 8292 but there are campgrounds elsewhere in the Magdalena Mountains.

External Links

Local weather: Magdalena
Local Search and Resuce Team: Cibola SAR
Cibola National Forest - Magdalena Ranger District

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Magdalena MountainsMountains & Rocks