Poke-o-moonshine State Campground

Poke-o-moonshine State Campground

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.40000°N / 73.51°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Easy
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


The trailhead is located at the southern edge of the Pokemoonshine State Campground on Rt. NY 9. From the Northway (Rt. I-87), take exit 32 (from the south) and travel 9 miles north to campground. From the north, take exit 33 and travel 3 miles south on Rt. NY9.

Parking is limited on roadway, but for a nominal fee you can park in the camping area.

Route Description


At the South end of the campground, follows the signs for the trail. The trail register is located just inside the woodline. The trail is marked with red markers. The ascent begins right away in a southwesterly heading before turning west into the "meat" of the hill.

The first .8 mile is very steep in places with an average grade of 35% over that entire section. Views to the east begin almost immediatly, so on your rest stops, be sure to turn around and enjoy Lake Champlain and Mt. Mansfield, VT (on a clear day). During this first section, you skirt around one of the rock cliffs on the east face.

At .8 mile, you will reach the col between Pokemoonshine and the mountain to the south. In this location, you will find the renants of the observers cabin. The grade slackens over the next .2 mile as you circle around the rear of the mountain. There are several good views to the south and west along the way, just off the left side of the trail. The last .1 mile to the summit is fairly level till you reach the FIRETOWER on the bare summit rock. Good views to the east, south and west. Be sure to climb the FIRETOWER for a nifty little view to all points of the compass.

Total ascent on the 1.1 mile hike is 1280'.

Essential Gear


No special gear. Just a daypack with the standard hiking equipment is all that is needed in any season. During icy/snowy conditions, TAKE GREAT CARE on the bare summit rock near the east face. The cliffs are near vertical and about 500' high.

Sliping there will bring you to the base of the mountain in one (possibly two) bounces.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.