Pole Creek/Elkhart Park Trailhead

Pole Creek/Elkhart Park Trailhead

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 43.11940°N / 109.6032°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike + Basic Snow/Glacier Climb + Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: A few days
Additional Information Difficulty: Possible Steep snow or ice and/or 2nd to 3rd class rock
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


From the Pole Creek Trailhead (see Getting There), hike 5.3 miles and turn north on the Seneca Lake Trail. Hike 5.1 miles to the Indian Pass Trail/Highline Trail. Hike this trail, bearing right when the Highline Trail splits to the left. Continue on Indian Pass Trail for 2.2 miles to the base of Jackson Peak in the Indian basin.

Route Description


Hike to near the Gap of Indian pass and traverse boulders, snow and ice in order to gain the saddle. Opon gaining the saddle boulder hop across to obtain the ridge line. Stay on rock whenever possible. As we climbed we post-holed constantly when we where on the snow which made this an exhusting climb. However be cautious near the transition from snow to rock as a void in the snow often forms near this transition and you can find yourself wedged between two boulders. Climb the long snow slope to the summit along the ridge line. Desend the same route as your assent. Cairns (A 3 Rock stack) help keep you on route.

Essential Gear


Multi-day Backpacking equipment
Heavy Mountaineering Boots (Not Plastic)
Gore-tex Shell Jacket and Pants
4 season Mountaineering tent
Atleast a 20 degree sleeping bag
Fleece Mid layer (it can snow any day of the year in the winds)
Moisture Wicking base layer (no cotton)
Ice-Axe
Crampons
Dry-Rope
Belay device
Adjustible Mountaineering Harness
3 biners each
Protection hex or nuts + small cams
Climbing Helmet (rock fall nearly hit me during our ascent)
Waterproof gloves
2 quarts of Water (for climb) water filtration for base camp
Cell phone (we could only get reception high on the mountain)
Weather radio (the weather can get real bad real fast)

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.