Pop Bottle (5.7)

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 38.79940°N / 120.135°W
Additional Information Route Type: Trad Climbing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: 5.7 (YDS)
Additional Information Number of Pitches: 3
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview/Getting There

Located on the East Wall of Lovers Leap. Follow the directions from the Main Page to get to Lovers Leap campground. From campground hike up South East on Pony Express trail. You will pass Hogsback on your left, and East Wall will be on your right. You will continue on this trail to the East side of the wall. The route is named Pop Bottle because of a rock formation at the base of the 1st pitch, which resembles a bottle. Located just left (east) of Haystack (5.8).

East WallEast Wall of Lovers Leap


According to sources, crux of the climb is getting over one of the bulges on first pitch. My partner and I thought first moves of second pitch were worth mentioning as cruxy material. I found this route to be a lot better than what I expected from the rating other people gave it, worth doing.

FA: Gene Drake, Mark Haymond, Larry Morris

Route Description

Pop Bottle (5.7)Pop Bottle-Route


Pitch 1
Starts on the right side of "Pop Bottle" shaped rock, and follows a nice crack system, with dikes available for nice foot holds. Most of it is easy till you get to the start of several bulges that are obvious from the ground. The crux move of this climb (according to other sources) is getting above one of these bulges. Protection placements are available throughout this pitch and are perfect to protect the crux. To get over the crux move, jam your left hand higher (there is a hold available), lift up, jam your left foot into the crack, and move up. After that there are couple of other bulges that are fun to get over, the last one has a huge hold available. Followed by an easy scramble right to the belay ledge. Not too many cracks were available for good anchor placements, but huge boulders are there to sling.
If the climbers do not feel like climbing higher for whatever reason class 3 walk off is available. From the big ledge follow the path of least resistance east.


Pitch 2
First move of second pitch is the second crux of this climb. It starts out as an awkward move onto the face. Is really exposed and no protection is available till the climber is able to clip into the bolt, which is about 15 feet off the ground. The move is directly over a steep drop to the base of 1st pitch, so as they say.."Don't fall!" After you are clipped into the bolt follow the crack up and a bit to the left. After the first move pitch is a lot easier, but a bit run out in places. Climb higher, and you will reach bolts which mark the end of 2nd pitch.

3rd pitch
Is a fourth class walk off. Go up and to the left to get off the rock. Follow the trail down and back to the start of the route to pick up your belongings. I suggest hanging your back packs, to keep them away from vicious local animals.

Leading 1st pitchI am leading 1st pitch

Finishing 1st pitchAlmost done leading 1st pitch

Essential Gear

Set of nuts and a set of cams up to #3 are nice to have. Person who went right before us free soloed this route, I guess minimal number of nuts is two.

External Links

http://www.supertopo.com/rock-climbing/Lake-Tahoe-Lovers-Leap-East-Wall-Pop-Bottle

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
rhyang

rhyang - Nov 10, 2010 3:13 pm - Voted 10/10

Some other notes

It might be worth mentioning that this climb is easy to bail off: at the first belay ledge you can just traverse left onto third class terrain. There are similar places higher up. You may also desire to add a link to the description on supertopo in the 'External Links' section : http://www.supertopo.com/rock-climbing/Lake-Tahoe-Lovers-Leap-East-Wall-Pop-Bottle There are also route pages on mountainproject.com and rockclimbing.com -- it's pretty popular.

DanielB - Oct 7, 2013 7:44 pm - Hasn't voted

Left gear

I left a yellow #2 master cam with an alpine draw at the top of the first pitch on Pop Bottle. If you find it please contact me at boettche12@up.edu. Thanks

Viewing: 1-2 of 2