Rattlesnake Canyon

Rattlesnake Canyon

Page Type Page Type: Route
Additional Information Route Type: hike/scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 3 scrambling
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


The trailhead is located at the end of Indian Cove road. From Indian Cove Campground take the road to the east about a mile to a picnic area where there is parking at the mouth of the canyon.

Route Description


From the picnic area hike up the Canyon in a south to south-east direction. After a few hundred yards a deceiving canyon heads almost due west, stay to the south east or the left and continue up the canyon. About a 1/4 to 1/2 mile up you run into what some books describe as a slot canyon. This is a pretty waterfall in the winter or spring after rains. From the top of this waterfall area, you can continue up the canyon approximately 1 mile to a fork of sorts in the canyon. From this fork continue northwest picking whichever route looks best. Approximately three distinct ridges will be crossed as you navigate back towards Indian Cove. On the topo map aim for Johnson Spring as you proceed cross-country back to the Indian Cove campground.

Essential Gear


No rope is absolutely necessary. If you make the entire hike across the ridges back to Indian Cove campground, there are some areas where a rope will give peace of mind, but most of the hike/scramble is class 3-4 in the most difficult areas.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.