Raymond Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 42.86230°N / 71.8791°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 1 with one steep pitch
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

VIA RAYMOND TRAIL: From Route 101 travel to the Old Mountain Rd. It is located roughly a half mile from Miller State Park facing the northside (Left coming from Peterborough and right from Milford and points east. Take Old Mountain Rd. roughly 1 mile and the Raymond Trailhead will be on your right.

Route Description



From Pack Monadnock (8/19/03)


The Raymond Trail is the only trail that climb directly to the summit with no trail fees at the bottom. It is presently preserved by the Peterbourgh Conservation Commission.

The begins with a small incline to the top of a ridge. the trail descend to a a small swampy area. The stay gradually for the next tenth of a mile where it begins to ascends moderately again. The trail then heads down to a brook and gradually climbs from the brook. The trail pick up intensity when it hits a a small scramble up a number of rock which then leads to a second longer scramble with semi-open views to the west. This area is not quite steep or exposed enough to be class 2 but the footing on this section is not good so use caution. The trail then alternates between moderate and steep pitch and pass the Red Circle Trail (tourist loop trail across Pack Monadnock) and runs into the Wapack trail a little more than a mile and half from the trailhead. Take the Wapack trail south over level terrain to the summit parking lot and commercial fire tower.


Essential Gear

In winter once the rcks on the steeper pitch are covered with a lot of snow, snowshoes are great. If it has snow in while then go with yal-trak or crampons. In summer all you need is essential hiking gear.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.